Starbucks Reserve® Organic Galápagos San Cristóbal
On the island of San Cristóbal, a peculiar combination of climate and geology has produced a remarkable environment.
Twice a year, the Humboldt Current passes through, carrying cold winds and rich nutrients that mingle with the island’s fertile volcanic soil and intense equatorial sun for an unexpectedly subtropical climate. The result: arabica coffee trees that would normally grow at elevations of 3,000 feet are able to flourish at an altitude one-third of that.
It’s from this unique place that we discovered the beans that would become our first ever Starbucks Reserve® coffee in 2010 – an incomparable brew that we’ve longed for ever since. This year we’re lucky enough to offer a small organic batch graced with a soft and chocolaty mouthfeel, juicy acidity and hints of savory herbs – flavours that meld into a cup no less extraordinary than the region’s exceptional climate.
- Producer: Hacienda El Cafetal
- Elevation: 450 - 1,200 feet
- Coffee Variety: Bourbon
- Processing Method: Washed
- Harvest dates: November-December
- Tasting Notes: Herbal with cola notes, a juicy acidity and a soft chocolaty mouthfeel
- Flavor Intensity: Bold
- Pairing Flavours: Herbs, warm spices, cocoa, orange