Laceration Hazard Prompts Recall by Starbucks of Coffee Grinders
June 16, 2009
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. (To access color photos of the following recalled products, see CPSC’s web site at: www.cpsc.gov.)
- Name of product:
- Starbucks Barista® Blade Grinder and Seattle’s Best Coffee® Blade Grinder.
- About 530,000
- Tsann Kuen (Zhangzhou) Enterprise Co. Ltd. (“TKL”) of China.
- Starbucks Coffee Company and Seattle’s Best Coffee both of Seattle, Washington.
- The grinder can fail to turn off or can turn on unexpectedly, posing a laceration hazard to consumers.
- The firm has received 176 reports of grinders that failed to turn off or that turned on unexpectedly, including three reports of hand lacerations that occurred when the grinders turned on unexpectedly during cleaning.
This recall includes the Starbucks Barista® Blade Grinders and Seattle’s Best Coffee® Blade Grinders with the following SKU numbers:
- Starbucks Barista® Blade Grinder in Stainless Steel (SKU# 171884)
- Starbucks Barista® Blade Grinder in Green (SKU# 195234)
- Starbucks Barista® Blade Grinder in Pink (SKU# 195235)
- Starbucks Barista® Blade Grinder in Orange (SKU# 220623)
- Starbucks Barista® Blade Grinder in Teal (SKU# 220624)
- Starbucks Barista® Blade Grinder in Cranberry (SKU# 242275)
- Starbucks Barista® Blade Grinder in Olive (SKU# 344476)
- Starbucks Barista® Blade Grinder in Black (SKU# 454482)
- Seattle’s Best Coffee® Blade Grinder in Brown Metallic (SKU# 474881)
- Sold at:
- Starbucks and Seattle’s Best Coffee stores nationwide from March 2002 through March 2009 for about $30.
- Manufactured in:
- Consumers should immediately stop using the coffee grinders and contact Starbucks to receive a free replacement grinder.
- Consumer Contact:
- For more information, contact Starbucks toll free at (866) 276-2950.
- * Customers in international markets are asked to go to their local store for further information.
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
Starbucks Recall Hotline: (866) 276-2950
Starbucks Media Relations: (206) 318-7100, email@example.com