Yonge & Bloor Toronto, ON
One of our most cherished stores in Canada. The location was home to an important landmark, the Britnel Bookstore and the building remains in the family. The designers brought a thriving coffee house experience to a busy intersection in downtown Toronto, with some very unique characteristics. Open the wooden door and you’re almost transported back in time to the art deco period. The inspiration for the design pays tribute to the location’s history. The store features high ceilings, a large open concept and the Clover® brewer. The décor makes use of the old bookshelves restored to their original condition, but now house custom made recycled leather banquet seating for our customers. The cabinetry for the bar is a combination of re-purposed units from the original store and new pieces made locally in Toronto.
Notable Store Elements
- Floor is made from 200 year old wharf planking that was unearthed, and re-engineered in Toronto (found during the excavation when the Air Canada Center was being built)
- Artwork is produced locally and is made using vegetable-based inks
- Books lining the walls were donated from local organizations in exchange for some of the older furniture previously used for this store
- Community table is actually a salvaged piece of cabinetry and marble that was the original cash-wrap for the bookstore
- Artwork is a combination of Starbucks photographs from the actual farms we purchase coffee from and original pieces from the Britnel Book archives