CPSC, Starbucks Coffee Company Announce Recall of Ceramic Teapots
November 28, 2005
The following product safety recall was conducted voluntarily by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed.
- Name of product:
- Ceramic Teapots
- About 257
- Starbucks Coffee Company, of Seattle, Wash.
- The teapots are labeled safe for microwave use, but the handles can become hot in the microwave oven. This poses a possible burn hazard to consumers.
- Starbucks has received one report of a teapot handle that overheated in a microwave oven.
- This recall involves 40-ounce white ceramic teapots with bamboo handles. The phrase "Microwave and Dishwasher Safe" is printed on the bottom of each teapot.
- Sold at:
- Certain large Starbucks stores nationwide from August 2005 through mid-September 2005 for about $25.
- Manufactured in:
- Consumers should stop using the teapots and contact Starbucks for instructions on returning the product for a full refund and a $5 Starbucks gift card.
- Consumer Contact:
- For more information, contact Starbucks Coffee Customer Relations at (800) 235-2883 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. ET any day.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.