Starbucks Principles For Upholding the Third Place: For Our Partners, Our Customers and Our Communities
Since our founding in 1971, Starbucks has set out to be a different kind of company, one that puts people first: our partners, our customers and our communities. Our Mission and Values come to life in the promotion of equitable, diverse and inclusive cultures: in our workplace, our communities, and in our stores, a third place environment where everyone is welcome and we can gather, as a community, to share great coffee and deepen human connection.
Starbucks commitment to live Our Mission and Values is reflected in the following principles:
- Everyone should feel welcomed at Starbucks. Every person who visits a Starbucks store is a customer, whether they make a purchase or not. Our customers are welcome to use the spaces we provide appropriately, including our cafés, patios and restrooms.
- A safe and welcoming public space is a shared community responsibility. Consistent with Our Mission and Values we expect everyone in our third place community to treat others with respect and dignity, free of bias and discrimination. Behaviours that make anyone feel unwelcome or unsafe have no place on our store premises. We trust our baristas to address disruptive behaviours appropriately guided by our existing policies and training. When in our stores:
- Use Our Spaces as Intended
Sleeping, smoking, consuming alcohol, drug use or improper use of restrooms is not permitted.
- Be Considerate of Our Partners and Other Customers
Loud or unreasonable noise, or behaviours that are disruptive to others are not tolerated.
- Communicate with Respect
Obscene, harassing, abusive language, hate speech, racial slurs, gestures or actions are unacceptable.
- Act Responsibly
Violating any federal, provincial or local law, regulation or ordinance, including any applicable public health mandate is prohibited.
- Use Our Spaces as Intended
- Discrimination is inconsistent with Our Mission and Values. We strive to eliminate discrimination and implicit bias from every aspect of our business, including the experiences of our partners and customers at Starbucks. We do not tolerate discrimination on any basis prohibited by local, state or federal law. We oppose any public policy that would have a discriminatory impact. If you experience or see conduct that you believe is discriminatory, harassing or inconsistent with this commitment, please contact our Customer Service team online or by calling (800) 782-7282.
Anyone not contributing to a safe and welcoming environment will be asked to change their behaviour. Anyone not changing their behaviour may be asked to leave the store with possible assistance from law enforcement.
Creating a truly welcoming space, where people can come together with understanding, respect and compassion, and where diverse backgrounds and life experiences are embraced, is fundamental to our role and responsibility as a company. These principles will continue to guide Starbucks and we will hold ourselves accountable to them. Together, we can create and maintain a welcoming third place environment, where every individual is treated with humanity, dignity and respect.